Friday 16 April 2010

B I G news!

I have some very big news so I would like you all to have a seat (although I don't actually imagine you read my blog standing up).

Over the past 4 months I have been researching, contemplating, applying for and interviewing at De Montfort University in Leicester. I have received a conditional acceptance to start my Master's degree in September!

I will be taking my Master's in Creative Technologies which is a unique department they have created as it acts as a hub between Humanities, Arts and Technology. Finally, a university that doesn't pigeon-hole students and sees the advantages of multidisciplinary degree programs. They have 14 places available for September and only admit students whose work marries the three disciplines. They are very happy to allow me to concentrate on website usability, in fact, they have a brand new usability lab about to open to students and industry. They took me for a tour of it and it is impressive with the ability to monitor user's heart rate, breathing and pulse as well as track their eye movements and other interactions. This is state-of-the-art equipment and I am very excited about the opportunities this will present for me.

Those of you who know me well might find it odd I am doing a Master's since I don't have a BSc degree; a standard prerequisite. They have taken my previous Associate Degree in Technical Writing and industry experience at par and had me undergo some tests/assignments to ensure I am at MSc level. Apparently, I am!

As I said, it's a conditional acceptance as I still have some paperwork I have to get in order (letters of reference and grade transcripts) but I have been assured this is just a formality. I have been offered a position for the September semester which they don't offer unless they are sure the applicant can fulfil all the requirements.

I now return you to my regular blog which I updated earlier today and you probably haven't read yet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wooooooo - congrats!!!

John (Dad) said...

Great news. You are proof positive of that wonderful quote 'To everything (read everyone) there is a season'. Your time has come, or more accurately, you have made it come.
We are very proud of you. Perhaps more of us should have dropped out at grade 11!!
Love
J